Sunday, September 19, 2010

Festival :-)

Saturday I spent the entire day in bed in-a-coma sick.  So, there's nothing really to say about that except that Elien saved the day by writing me a note for the pharmacist and Lindie came in to check on me periodically to make sure that I was still breathing.  I fell asleep Friday night after I got home from work and I didn't wake up again until after 6pm on Saturday. . .whoops.  And then slept all night Saturday night as well :-)
Felt a lot better Sunday morning though, after all that sleep. :-)

Sunday afternoon was a Thanksgiving festival for foreigners in Ulsan Grand Park, so of course we had to check that out.  So, we hopped on a bus and off we went. 

Traditional first picture.  Right after we got off the bus and waiting to cross the street. . .
 
We always have to wait. . .and wait. . .
 We got into the park (ironically it was the same entrance that Lindie and I found by accident that time when we got lost. . .well, the time that we got lost that we found Ulsan Grand Park.)  And we found this little guy:

They're not just asking you not to smoke in the park; they're telling you to stop altogether.  And if you don't, you'd better watch out for your knee caps.  That's all they're saying.
We walked around the corner and were there!  Hangawi festival for foreigners :-)  Awesome.
We got there about half an hour before things started.  People were playing this crazy suicide game on a teeter totters. . .in case you can't really imagine it here's a pic:

I think it was called something like "whoever's tibia breaks out of the skin first loses."  Don't worry, we'll see these again. 


We saw a traditional wedding booth so we had to check that out.  :-)
Aren't they adorable??
But they didn't just get away with wearing the costumes.  One of the girls who worked there begged them, literally jumped up and down begging them to get on the teeter totter of death.  So. . .of course, here's a pic!!

Why did they do it?  I don't know.  I guess because they had to :-)  If you're going to do something, then might as well make them laugh right??  :-)
And they gathered quite a crowd.  I really couldn't tell you how many websites they're currently getting uploaded to :-)  awesome job, guys :-)






After they managed to get away from their adoring fans we decided to find a seat and wait for the ceremonies to start.  Of course this merited another photo :-)

Several council members in the community gave really nice speeches which were translated for us and then the dancing began :-)  These dances were really cool :-)

It started out, as every good thing does, with one drum :-)
And then got bigger. . .
Here's the clip!!!



Pretty cool, right???  It just kept building.  So, here's a little more:


And then the dancers were just so cool, so here's a little more :-)







Okay, that was a really cool dance.  Then they had a hackey sack game where they had foreigners try to come and kick this thing more than once and they gave them gift certificates.  While Lindie and I were trying to BEG Albert to get up and do it I accidently backhanded this really small woman right in the head.  I hate to admit it.  But, I have to.  She was totally okay, but it was terrible.  I crossed my arms the rest of the day.  I don't even know where she came from.
Sorry!!

Then they had another dance, and it was beautiful:

It was hot today.  I don't know how they did it.

Aren't they pretty?  Here's a clip!



The whole time I was taking videos and stuff I was standing next to this random stump.  I had no idea what it was for.  Then this man brought out all this dough for rice cakes and started pounding it on the stump.  Albert got in on that action, and here's a clip:   :-)

Pretty awesome, right?  :-)

They had streamers on their hats and they would throw their heads around and make the streamers go crazy.  I don't know how they did it without falling over.  It was pretty awesome.
We had to check out the rest of the booths, so it was off to the games booth :-)
Lindie was preparing to kick Albert's butt at the throwing-the-arrows game.
I missed all of them.  Oh well.
She was totally aiming at her.  I promise.  I can't show the next photo. . .
Lindie then found a best friend.  :-)  And then she stole him. 
Then we ALL got our names written in calligraphy :-)  This was Lindie's
Lindie found these and they were awesome, so we had to have them on the blog :-)
So, after a few hours we decided it was time to go and get some pizza.  But on our way out we noticed people waiting in line and gift packages.  :-)  yay!

It was so cute.  A box filled with toothpastes, soaps, shampoos and conditioners.  We're stocked up now :-) 
And then it was pizza time :)  Since we go there so often (it's a lot like Little Caesars $5 deal except much slower and with potatoes on everything, but really good, cheap pizza) we decided to put a picture up :-)

Yay :-)  Cheap pizza :-)
Pizza Bingo.  How we love you :-)

So, that was our day :-)  Tomorrow it's back to work but only for one day!  And then it's off for the rest of the week!  So, I'm sure we'll find plenty to get into then!  :-)
So, I guess that's it for now!  I'm sure they'll be more soon :-)
Thanks for reading!!

1 comment:

  1. Love your blog Jean!! What memories your making.
    Keep it up and we all will see it through your eyes. I can think of none better. xo
    love you
    AK

    ReplyDelete